WHY STUDY TOURISM & HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
- Tourism is the world’s largest industry with revenues of over $500 billion. This program links business principles with the principles and practice of modern tourism. The program goes further to explore issues such as ecotourism and sustainable development. Students holding this qualification will be confident in applying key business and management concepts to this growing sector.
- The hospitality industry is one of the world’s most dynamic industries and continues to grow year after year. The World Travel Organization predicts that it will triple in size by the year 2020, becoming one of the largest industries in the world. This growth will provide many employment opportunities for people with the right qualifications, and DIU will provide exactly the type of education and skills that the future hospitality managers should understand.
- For the last 100 years, there has been a substantial shift from the primary and secondary sectors to the tertiary sector in industrialized countries. The tertiary sector is now the largest sector of the economy in the Western World and is also the fastest-growing sector in Bangladesh, with its wonderful natural beauty, gorgeous history and booming economy. This holds out needs and opportunities for imparting education for tourism and hospitality industry.
The tourism and hospitality industry is one of the strongest industries in the world in terms of overall GDP, employment and growth. The year of 2016-2017 was excellent for the tourism and hospitality industry, according to the World Travel and Tourism Council’s 2017 report.
- +6 million net additional jobs in 185 countries
- +7.6 Trillion US$ (10.2% Global GDP)
- 292 million jobs sustained
- 1 in 10 jobs in the global economy
Careers in Tourism
The hospitality and tourism industry includes many sub-sectors that are open to hospitality management graduates. The following list shows the closely related hospitality and tourism industry sectors.
- Accommodation: hotels, resorts, vacation rentals, camping, etc.
- Food & beverage: restaurants, night clubs, franchises, catering, food trucks
- Travel: airlines, cruise ships, private jets and charters
- Tourism: excursions, tour packages, destination management
- Events: festivals, concerts, conferences, fashion shows, etc.
- Sports & recreation: international competitions, private clubs, rentals, retail
- Hotel operations: front office, rooms division, food & beverage, events
- Hospitality management: HR, finance, marketing, real estate, public relations
- Entertainment: venue management, event planning, sales, retail, VIP services
- Luxury: lifestyle services, private charters, VIP events & services
- Food & Beverage: fine dining, catering, culinary arts, sommeliers
- Health & wellness: spas, fitness, private clinics, retirement living, hospitals
- Online & technology: OTA’s, start-ups, sharing economy
- Other roles: hotel openings, hospitality consultancy, project management, R&D
Our Faculty Members
Head of Department
Hons, Masters (Marketing)
Comilla Victoria College
BBA, MBA (THM)
University of Dhaka
BBA, MBA (THM)
American International University Bangladesh